ST. ELIZABETH's Askell (given name Michael Fairman).... Visions of Billboard......"In My Bed has that international appeal and I know it will be the next Cheerleader (Omi's Billboard chart topper).

 BY BRIAN BONITTO Associate Editor -- Auto & Entertainment bonittob@jamaicaobserver.com  Monday, September 14, 2015    
This is the fourth of a 10-part series on 'Generation Next' of Jamaican music producers.
THOUGH visually impaired, music producer Askell has his sights set on the Billboard chart with his latest single In My Bed.
Producer Askell (Michael Fairman) on the keyboards
"In My Bed has that international appeal and I know it will be the next Cheerleader (Omi's Billboard chart topper). Probably bigger. Billboard, nothing less. The sky is the limit," Askell told the Jamaica Observer.
"This song has the ability to cross over to major international markets in Europe, USA, South America, and Africa. Reggae is going good, there is always a market for reggae."
Released in June, the track features reggae singer Gyptian and is produced on Askell's Visionhouse Records label.
The 31-year-old explained to Observer how the single came to fruition.
"I was introduced to Gyptian through a mutual friend. It wasn't hard because Gyptian is naturally talented. He heard the rhythm and just started voicing. The rest is history," he said.
Gyptian is no stranger to international success. His 2010 single Hold You went Gold in the United States by selling more than 500,000 copies. The single was also remixed by Trinidadian-born American rapper Nicky Minaj.
Born with a visual defect and hailing from Stephen Run in St Elizabeth, Askell (given name Michael Fairman) said his passion for music was innate.
"My mother bought me a keyboard when I was nine years old and I started practising on my own. I never had any professional help and I taught myself how to play it," he said.
Now after 16 years in the music business, the former Jamaica College and University of the West Indies student, said he has the chops to take his music to another level. more

No comments:

Post a Comment