IN JAMAICA, Samantha inspires : After being diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2013, 25-year-old Samantha David is determined to kick the cancer to the kerb....." I use my energy to motivate others and encourage them when they're down."

By KIMBERLEY HIBBERT  Monday, November 10, 2014    
AFTER being diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2013, 25-year-old Samantha David is determined to kick the cancer to the kerb.
Ready for the battlefield, she's offering support to those who need it, who may be facing or fighting similar challenges, even as she fights for her own life.
Samantha David
"I know what it's like to need encouragement and not have it. My mom was strong even though she felt the strain. I want people like me or people going through their own problems to remain positive, because being negative only defeats your healing process," she said.
As such, David devoted herself to ministering to others while a patient in hospital, and hopes to begin advocacy for cancer patients when she recovers.
"While on the ward, I used my time to encourage persons with the word of God and my experiences. There was this lady who didn't have cancer but was always crying and her boyfriend said to her, 'Every day I come here you're crying, and Samantha has cancer and I've never seen her cry yet'. I use my energy to motivate others and encourage them when they're down. Anyone can have it and it is not easy being by yourself or not having someone to encourage you," she told All Woman.
David explained that before the diagnosis she had symptoms for three years but could not get a confirmation.
"After doing the first set of biopsies I gave up, because I was going to the doctor every month and going to the clinic every other week. I was being treated for autoimmune disease, overactive eczema, among other things. I experienced excess itching, swelling of the chest and neck, but the tests were inconclusive. It's very tough, especially having it for so long and not knowing," she said.
However, on recommendation from her then human resources manager in 2012 to see a doctor at Medical Associates, she learned of the condition that has significantly changed her life.
"At the time I had a fever that would not break and it basically became a part of me. When I saw the doctor, he took one look at me and said, 'Get ready, I'm going to admit you'. I did additional biopsies in December 2012 and by January 2013 I had a confirmation." more

No comments:

Post a Comment