Bolt ignites Scotland, but will he wear a kilt? "It felt good (the crowd's response)... it's like I was at the London Olympics and I appreciated it as I love to compete for a crowd which is really loud.

Saturday, August 02, 2014    
GLASGOW, Scotland — Like thunder from above, Hampden Park erupted into a maddening roar earlier yesterday.
The crowds at Hampden Park have been vocal throughout the track and field action at the Commonwealth Games, and the athletes have enjoyed their participation. But yesterday, they were louder than ever before.
Usain Bolt reacts after leading his team to victory in the
men’s 4x100m relay heats. (PHOTO: COLLIN REID
 COURTESY OF SUPREME VENTURES, COURTS AND
BEST DRESSED CHICKEN)
Finally, their seemingly eternal wait to see Jamaica's sprint king, Usain Bolt, in action was finally over.
And their cheers as he took the baton on the anchor leg of the 4x100 relay team was the kind of welcome fitting for a king.
Today, they will get to see him once again in the gold medal race. And again, they will lift him up.
"It felt good (the crowd's response)... it's like I was at the London Olympics and I appreciated it as I love to compete for a crowd which is really loud. So for me, it was just brilliant," said Bolt, who has six Olympic gold medals.
The world record holder got caught up in a bit of a controversy over alleged comments he was quoted in The Times of having made. He has denied before, and again today he did.
"I knew it was lie, so I wasn't worried and was just looking forward to come out here and have fun and to do my best and give a good performance.
"She (British reporter) asked me how the Games were, and I said I haven't done much as I have been in my room. And then she asked 'if it was fun' and I said, 'I guess' because I haven't been out... so I guess she just interpreted that to mean that it was sh...ty or whatever. I did not appreciate that, but that's how journalists are sometimes," contorting his face into comical look that had journalists here in stitches.
Bolt, who ran 9.58 and 19.19 seconds over the 100 and 200m, said he was never worried that the people of Scotland wouldn't embrace him, because he was a fan of the country as much as the country is a fan of his.
"I was never worried because I know my true people know that I would never say something like that, as I always go to every country with an open mind to just go see and enjoy the culture; the people have been great to me, and I am just loving it," he said.
Bolt said they have tried vigorously to try and get him to wear a kilt. But he's not keen to be seen wearing anything looking like feminine garb.
Bolt on The Run
"It's different (the culture), everybody is trying to get me to wear a kilt. But it has been fun and as I said the people have been great to me and I have had some good laughs," he noted.
Having been out of competition for months after sustaining a foot injury, Bolt conceded he was not yet at his best in his first race since coming back.
"Everything was good, but I was just feeling sluggish as it was my first race, so I know it was going to take time to get into my rhythm, but apart from feeling sluggish, it was okay," he noted. more

No comments:

Post a Comment