IN JAMAICA: Parents Seek Help For Teen Girl Dons...."What do you do if your 15 y-o daughter looks at you and tells you that she wants to kill you?"...."My daughter is the leader of a gang of six boys. Dem even call her 'Tommy Lee' (after the dancehall deejay)

Published: Monday | March 24, 2014 
"What do you do if your daughter looks at you and tells you that she wants to kill you?" asked 34-year-old Kerry-Ann Ford, who was seeking help for her 15-year-old daughter at a Re-Birth Project session that was held on Saturday at the Caenwood Centre in St Andrew.
Melody Cammock-Gayle, founder, Rebirth Project, addresses parents and their children attending of the Re-Birth Project at Caenwood Centre in St Andrew, an intervention initiative for at-risk teenagers and their parents from the Tivoli Gardens and Norman Manley high schools. - Gladstone Taylor/Photographer
Melody Cammock-Gayle, founder, Rebirth Project,
 addresses parents and their children attending
of the Re-Birth Project at Caenwood Centre
Ford, who is from the Maxfield Avenue community in St Andrew, said it has been a rocky journey in providing a stable environment for her child.
"My daughter is the leader of a gang of six boys. Dem even call her 'Tommy Lee' (after the dancehall deejay) because she takes on the role of a don. She's not attending classes and it really pains my heart," she said with tears streaming down her face.
"I try to be her friend. Mi even tek up $10,000 buy a shoes for her the other day because I don't want her to feel left out, and I'm trying to please her. She has been to several counselling sessions. I don't know what I haven't done for this girl. I reached my boiling point recently when she told somebody that she is anxious to become a soldier because she wants to kill me," Ford revealed.
The single mother stressed, however, that she will remain persistent and rise above the challenges.
"It's not easy, but I will not point fingers and blame anybody. I will continue to fight and get all the help I can," Ford told The Gleaner. more

No comments:

Post a Comment