CELEBRATING MOTHERS IN JAMAICA… A mother helping other moms

Sunday, May 09, 2021

CLARENDON, Jamaica – Anna Chang-Liao grew up in her family's wholesale business in May Pen and, fortunately for her, she was never in a position where she had to struggle to survive. A firm believer in helping those less fortunate without expecting anything in return, the mother of four has a soft spot for single moms.


“When I see other mothers, some of whom are employees, struggle to provide for their families, as a mother I really feel compelled to help them out because being a mom is really hard. Sometimes we just need a helping hand to help us get by; so I help out because I can,” she told OBSERVER ONLINE. Chang-Liao is the wife of prominent businessman and owner of the National Self Serve Wholesale in May Pen Clarendon Stephen Liao.

“Apart from assisting with food here and there, I also help some moms send their children to school. If they are sick I ensure they are able to go to the doctor and buy medication and, trust me, that is my greatest enjoyment: to see that those that I've helped out are alright,” she beamed.

Pointing to the impact that COVID-19 has had on working mothers – reduced hours or job losses that have made it challenging to provide for their children – Chang-Liao told OBSERVER ONLINE that every month she provides several mothers with basic food items while others get assistance on a one-off basis. “When I hear of these situations I just have to reach out and help them. I cannot turn them away, I simply cannot send them away empty handed,” she explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment