IN CLARENDON: Oshane Dunstan, 23, Rock River youth building his own car line

by Cecelia Campbell-LIVINGSTON - STAR Writer April 09, 2021

Oshane Dunstan, 23, has his sights set on designing and making his own line of cars - the only thing in his way is getting the training he so desperately needs.

Oshane Dunstan, car maker from Clarendon

He has already started on his journey by making miniature cars in his community of Simon in Rock River, Clarendon. He wowed the news team as he showed off his creations recently.

Dunstan has never done electronics in school. In fact, he did not even finish studies at May Pen Academy due to financial challenges. So how he has been able to design and create the mini cars is a mystery for some persons.

Dunstan explained that he uses a combination of plyboard and plastic bottles to make the body of the cars. The lights come from bulbs he takes from flashlights and are powered by the battery from a cell phone. The wheels of the cars are made from plastic pipes with the tyres coming from a bicycle.

With all the right materials in place, he said it takes him just one week to put a car together. Sourcing all the materials he needs is the only delay he experiences in making the car. "I dreamt that I was driving them and normally I would draw them but I just decided to make them. I wanted to make the real ones, but I didn't have the resources so I made the little model ones," he shared. Dunstan said he dreams of attending the Jamaican-German Automotive School in St Andrew where he hopes to pursue his dream of building cars.

Dunstan says it takes him about
a week to make one of the ‘vehicles

"It would give me a big help if I could get to go to a school that does robotics engineering, that would be a big help for me. The reason why I wanted to make motor vehicles is because Jamaica doesn't make those stuff and I want Jamaica to at least make motor vehicles," he stated.

Dunstan already has a name ready for his car line, Marobro. It is derived from his late mother Marlene Clove Brown, who he said he wants to honour through his designs.

Looking ahead his face lights up at the thought of someone actually sponsoring him to fulfil his dreams. "I would love for someone to open the door and make it possible," he said.

Persons who wish to assist Oshane Dunstan in his quest may contact him at 876-314-2953 or his mentor Illon Dawkins at 876-815-5069

No comments:

Post a Comment