IN JAMAICA: Former gangster turns a new chapter after being shot 8 times 'Shotta' gets 'spiritual awakening' on hospital bed

BY KEVIN JACKSON Observer writer editorial@jamaicaobserver.com  Sunday, October 22, 2017 
John Doe (not his real name) came from an affluent family. He attended a prestigious high school and was an A student. But he was lured into a life of crime and only got out after he faced a near-death experience.
“I was shot eight times and I survived. If it wasn't for the work of God, I wouldn't be here today,” Doe shared in an interview with the Jamaica Observer.
It was after completing high school 15 years ago that he got involved in criminal activities.
“I wasn't really into any gang per se. I just defended my family and my friends and the community that I lived [in]. I also did some robberies and turned the money over to people who didn't have much to live on. I never killed anyone, but there have been instances where I had to defend myself. There was a time that I went to jail on suspicion of murder, but I was later released,” he stated.
Doe witnessed his older brother being killed and carried that anger for many years.
“When my brother was killed I wanted revenge. When I was in high school my uncle was killed by gunmen. Then those same men killed my aunt. She was a good person who had a wholesale business and children attending university. Just talking about it brings tears to my eyes ... 16 shots them pump into her,” he recalled.
He also remembers clearly the night he was shot. more

No comments:

Post a Comment