The Jamaican who brought Malcolm X to Oxford University (UK) Anthony Abrahams promised to fill prestigious British Institution with Blacks

Monday, January 19, 2015   
Last month, the prestigious Oxford Union of the Oxford University, cradle of British political leadership, marked the 50th anniversary of the visit by Malcolm X, the American civil rights leader, on the invitation of Jamaica's Eric Anthony Abrahams, then president of the Union. Abrahams' sister, Hope Abrahams Calogero was present at the speech given by Malcolm X who was assassinated less than three months later. At the anniversary function, she was invited to give reflections on her brother and an event which was regarded as monumental in the context of the times. The Jamaica Observer is pleased to present the full text of her reflections:
American civil rights activist Angela Davis
 addressing the 50th anniversary
 commemorative event at Oxford.
Malcolm X and student Anthony
Abrahams on the cover of the
 book to commemorate the visit of
 the American civil rights leader. 
Fifty years ago, I sat in the Oxford Union listening to Tony and Malcolm X talk on the subject of extremism , liberty and justice. I'm not the orator that my brother was, and I've had a stroke that affects my speech. However, I could not pass up the opportunity to honour my brother's memory with a few reflections.
I had come two years before this historic moment to a debate at the Oxford Union, at my brother's invitation. It meant a lot to Tony that I be there. He used to say: I was his apple and he was my apple tree. At the time I was overwhelmed by the poshness and whiteness on display. more

No comments:

Post a Comment