KINGSTON, JAMAICA: Downtown fire leaves 9 homeless....."I am not sure what started the fire but all I know, I lost everything in the blaze," said Novelette Golding

Friday, January 02, 2015    
NINE people were left homeless yesterday when fire gutted an eight-bedroom board house on North Street in downtown Kingston.
Moya Jackson points to the remains of her home
 (PHOTOS: DONISHA WILLIAMS)
Neighbours said they saw smoke coming from the building about 3:30 am and called the fire brigade.
"No one was injured in the blaze as the six adults and three children were not at home during the fire," one of the tenants told the Jamaica Observer.
Novelette Golding, another tenant, said she was on her way from church when she got the call that the house was on fire. "I am not sure what started the fire but all I know, I lost everything in the blaze," said Golding, as she sat on a stool with her hands cupping her face.
Novelette Golding is a picture of
grief as she ponders her next move
 after yesterday’s fire
Moya Jackson, a mother of one, said she also lost everything in the fire.
"I got a call about minutes to 4:00 to say that fire was at my house; I could not even save a thing," said Jackson.
Firefighters from the York Park Fire Station said that four units were used to put out the blaze.
The fire brigade said loss was estimated at $2 million.
Reference Jamaica Observer-- Donisha Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment