IN JAMAICA (ANOTHER GREAT STORY) : Cross Keys High School Students Build House For Blind Woman, 46-year-old Betsy Bennett in Manchester..."I feel good ... I don't have words to explain how I feel. I just have to thank the children."....The students raised the funds for this project from a fundraising competition.

Tamara Bailey, Gleaner Writer Published: Saturday | July 5, 2014 
Smithfield, Manchester:
They say 'seeing is believing', but for 46-year-old Betsy Bennett, who became visually impaired (being blind in one eye and the other giving minimal vision) three years ago as a result of a battle with hypertension and diabetes for over 16 years, feeling is believing. 
Forty-six-year-old visually impaired Betsy Bennett (left) stands with project coordinator and staff adviser of the Cross Keys High Student Council Rosemarie Thompson Collins, who, along with her students, will be helping Bennett finish her house.
Forty-six-year-old visually impaired Betsy Bennett (left)
stands with project coordinator and staff adviser of the
Cross Keys High Student Council Rosemarie Thompson Collins,
 who, along with her students, will be helping Bennett finish her house.
Her hands pressed upon the concrete structure, and the sound of labourers moving about gave Bennett much joy as it brought her closer to the realisation that accessibility to a new comfortable home was near.
Bennett, who currently lives in a zinc dwelling, which she says is compartmentalised into two rooms with cardboard and curtains, has been living there for approximately 17 years, during which time she started a concrete dwelling but couldn't finish it.
"A lady who took care of me from I was three months bought this land for me before she died. So for 17 years, this is where I have been. Five years ago, I started the room over there, but since my vision get poor, I had to stop do my higglering, so there was no money to continue."
Cross keys High steps in
Fortunately for Bennett, the Cross Keys High School, which undertakes major outreach projects for the less fortunate, heard about her woes and decided to finish the room she started, and additionally, build a bathroom.
"I feel good ... . I don't have words to explain how I feel. I just have to thank the children, Mr Griffiths, and Mrs Collins, the teachers. I feel very good to know that they have decided to do this for me, and I have to thank my good sister Bobbeth Byrd, Sheila, as we all know her, because she do everything for me, and she was the one that make Cross Keys come here today."
With the majority of the students on site representing the construction programme of the school, principal of the institution, Ralph Nelson, said, "We want the students to be able to participate in these projects where they see that the only way we can improve the communities and Jamaica is by each of us doing our part to improving the country."
He further said, "When students leave school, they should be able to go on to a tertiary institution and do a programme in their competency, or have a skill that they can be employed, or have their parents be so confident in their ability that they can partner and start a small business on their own. So having the students here practising what they have been taught is a great opportunity," said Nelson.
The funds raised for this project were received through the staging of a king and queen competition.
A student of the Cross Keys High School carries blocks to a location where the room and bathroom will be constructed for a visually impaired community member.
A student of the Cross Keys High School carries blocks
 to a location where the room and bathroom will be
 constructed for a visually impaired community member.
"To get the funds towards this, we held a king and queen competition. Whoever collected the most money for the boys would get the title king, and for the girls, queen. We campaigned and went around asking persons for money and, of course, we got the support we needed. My classmate, Shantel Wright, was crowned queen and I, king," said fourth-form student and member of the construction programme, Jameel Gayle. more

1 comment: