IN JAMAICA: Perfect Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT) score for St John the Baptist student, Rianna Blake....She gained an average of 100 per cent in the exams, earning her a place at Immaculate Conception High

BY KIMBERLEY HIBBERT Career and Education writer  Sunday, June 29, 2014    
THOUGH small in number, the outgoing grade six students from St John the Baptist Preparatory School have performed exceptionally well in the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT), with one of the candidates gaining a perfect average.
When Career & Education visited the Harrad Crescent, St Andrew school last week, little or no noise was heard, as the school has a population of roughly 80 students.
BLAKE... when I saw I got perfect scores in everything
 I was happy. (PHOTOS: BRYAN CUMMINGS)
The grade six cohort has eight students who were all placed in traditional high schools.
But one girl, Rianna Blake, surprised herself and her teachers when she gained an average of 100 per cent in the exams, earning her a place at Immaculate Conception High -- her first choice.
Blake, who is also the head girl, said when she saw her results, words could not describe what she felt as she had worked towards it for the entire school year.
"I feel elated. The day before GSAT I told myself I was going to be the top girl. I had my rosary with me and I prayed and asked for God's guidance in the exam, so when I saw that I got perfect scores in everything, I was happy and thankful," Blake said.
For Blake, her greatest motivation was her family as she said they helped her to be more confident.
"My mom and dad always motivate me and tell me not to let anyone put me down. They usually say, 'do what you have to do and if you set your dreams now, you achieve it when you get older'," she said.
From left, Dana Williams, Briana Stephenson,
 Keymel Walcott, Rianna Blake, Janelle Cooper,
 Zoya White and Nikaya Horne stand around their
teacher Julian Gregory. Missing is Chris- Anthony Brown.
Class teacher Julian Gregory described the set as a unique and disciplined group who would set goals and work together to accomplish them without her having to dictate to them.
"We try our best to build their confidence and it's a disciplined group, and for a set of children they work with me and I have the support from their parents. Whatever they tell you they're going to do, they do it, and as their facilitator I don't have to tell them do this, do that. They come with their ideas, we have discussions, and we work towards goals," Gregory said.
Gregory said the students foster a sense of team spirit and help each other to grow.
"The stronger ones help the weaker ones. Selfishness is not displayed and they all want to learn," she said. more

No comments:

Post a Comment