ASK THE US EMBASSY: Applying for a student visa....Q: I applied to my dream school in the US and I got in! Now I need to get my visa; how do I do this?

Wednesday, June 25, 2014    
Q: I applied to my dream school in the US and I got in! Now I need to get my visa; how do I do this?
A: Congratulations! American universities and colleges are among the world's best and you should feel very proud of your accomplishment.
Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend
 determine whether you will need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa.
First, you'll need to determine the type of visa required for your study. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you will need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa. Generally, if you will attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory or other academic institution such as a language training programme, you will need an F visa. If you will attend a vocational or other recognised non-academic institution, you will need an M visa. The embassy and consular officer can also help you confirm this when you come in for your interview if you're unsure of your visa type.
Next, complete the online application. You'll be pleased to know the application for a student visa involves exactly the same procedures followed for a visitor's visa. All applicants must fill out the DS-160 visa application, pay the application fee, schedule an appointment to interview for the visa, and bring the standard visa application documentation to the embassy (a passport valid for the next six months, any previous passports/visas, DS-160 confirmation sheet, appointment confirmation page, a passport photo and proof of visa application fee).
Then, prepare some documentation for your visa interview. While the online application form is the same as the application for a visitor's visa, you'll also need several other items at your interview that are associated uniquely with the student visa. These include:
1. The I-20 form, which your school will send to you once they have processed your admission. Make sure the entry date specified on the I-20 is a date that has not yet passed. If the entry date listed on the I-20 has already passed, or will pass before the visa issuance process is complete, you should obtain a new I-20 from your school or request a letter from the school indicating that you have permission to arrive at school after the date indicated on the I-20. more

No comments:

Post a Comment