George Thompson, 104, still puffs away at his cigar Father of 18 recounts a lifetime of struggle

AT 104, George Thompson seems to be debunking medical beliefs that smoking kills, as he continues to puff away at cigars, a habit that he picked up over 47 years ago.
"Yes man, mi still smoke. When my wife left me, that is when I started the hard smoking," Thompson stated as he sat in his kitchen at Greenwich Town last Wednesday, six days after celebrating his birthday.
George Thompson at his home in
 Greenwich Town, along with neighbours
 (from left) Martina Rowe and baby Michael,
Carolyn Bailey and Iona Masters.
 (PHOTO: KARL McLARTY)
"That was when my last daughter was one year and two weeks. My daughter died nine years ago and she was 39," he said.
Thompson insists that he only smokes tobacco, and believes that smoking marijuana could be a killer.
"Mi nuh smoke ganja, but mi will drink the tea because I find use in it," he said. "You see why I might live so long? I don't mix myself with ganja, just tobacco mi smoke. And I will only smoke cigarette if I'm here now and I see somebody out the road have a cigarette I will take it and smoke, but mi not smoking it off, mi just take a draw and give it back. It is just a dirty habit," Thompson said as he reached for a small 'scandal' bag with tobacco which he was about to prepare for smoking. "Now I just smoke when I feel like I want to smoke," he said. read more 

No comments:

Post a Comment