Dennis Brown Lands International Success With 'Money In My Pocket'

Published: Sunday | July 27, 2014 Shereita Grizzle, Gleaner Writer
Beginning his career in the late 1960s, as early as age nine, Dennis Emmanuel Brown went on to record more than 50 albums, establishing himself as a pioneer in the Jamaican music industry.
Dennis Brown - File
Dennis Brown (File)
Born on February 1, 1957, Brown had quite a successful career, one that earned him the title, 'The Crown Prince of Reggae'. And although he started out very young and was enjoying local attention, Brown did not break onto the international scene until 1971 when he recorded and released the single, Money in My Pocket. The song found huge success in the United Kingdom, climbing the charts and reaching the top 20.
The song was produced by Joel Gibbs, more popularly known as Joe Gibbs at the time. Clearly proud of this particular achievement, Gibbs gushed about it to The Sunday Gleaner in an October 2013 article where he made mention of Winston 'Niney' Holness, who was also a huge part of the song's success. "Niney brought Brown to me about 1970-71, and told me he had potential and that I should take care of him.
We became very close. He came with a song to record, but I had this song, Money in My Pocket, which I co-wrote with a guy from MoBay. I told him it would be a hit, so he shouldn't play with it," he was quoted as saying. The rest of the story was told through the song's success. Brown went on to record a host of other hits which also enjoyed international success, including No More Will I RoamShould ISilhouette and If I Had the World. more

No comments:

Post a Comment