STOCKHOLM, Sweden (CMC) : Doubling up? 200m back in play for 28-year-old Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce at World Champs

Thursday, July 30, 2015    
STOCKHOLM, Sweden (CMC) — Jamaica's Olympic and World champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who indicated that she might defend her 200m title in Beijing, China, next month, is among six Jamaicans set to participate at the Stockholm Diamond League today.
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce winning the 100m at the Paris
 Diamond League meet on Saturday, July 4, 2015 in a
fast 10.74 seconds. (PHOTO: AP)
The 28-year-old, who won both the 100 and 200 metres two years ago in Moscow, had repeatedly said that she would focus only on the 100 metres at the Bird's Nest next month.
She even skipped the 200m at the National Senior Championships, running only in the 100m instead. However, speaking ahead of her 100m outing at the Diamond League meet here today, Fraser-Pryce said the 200m was now back in play.
"I was down to do the 100 and relay, but the 200 is still possible," Fraser-Pryce told a media conference.
"My coach did say earlier that I was not running the 200 but last week I was in practice and he said I should do a 100, a 200 and a 250."
She continued: "I said: 'Why am I going all that way? I'm not running 200 at the world champs?' And he said: 'Who says you're not running?' so I said: 'You did!' and he said: 'I've changed my mind. I'm not sure.'
"The thing is, I've already earned a spot in the 200 as champion, so I wouldn't be taking it away from anybody else."
Fraser-Pryce is one of the most successful women sprinters of the modern area. She won gold in the 100 metres at the Beijing Olympics seven years ago and successfully defended the title at the London Olympics in 2012, along with picking up silver in the 200m.
With obviously more success in the straight sprint, Fraser-Pryce said a lot more thought usually went in to her execution of the half lap.
"The 200 for me is definitely more strategic," she explained. "When I get to the start line I am thinking 'Do I go hard for the first 50, do I go 80 per cent and then blast the last 100?'" more

No comments:

Post a Comment