PENNSYLVANIA, USA -- Darren Mattocks : My confidence is mistaken for arrogance, says Mattocks at not being a starter in the CONCACAF Gold Cup championship match on Sunday. He scored Jamaica's lone goal.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015   
PENNSYLVANIA, USA -- Darren Mattocks, the Vancouver Whitecaps striker, even with his best efforts could not hide his disappointment at not being a starter in the CONCACAF Gold Cup championship match on Sunday night at Lincoln Financial Field here.
Jamaica’s Darren Mattocks (left) celebrates after scoring a goal
 during the first half of a CONCACAF Gold Cup semi-final game
 against the United States last Wednesday in Atlanta.
 (PHOTO: AP)
His exclusion from the starting 11 surprised many people after he had scored a vital opening goal that helped to sink the USA 2-1 in the semi-finals.
Coach Winfried Schaefer opted instead to go with Derby County's Simon Dawkins, who has not found the back of the net over the six games, but who has been a constant threat throughout, playing mostly as a withdrawn striker behind Houston Dynamo's Giles Barnes, who scored against the USA as well.
With Jamaica staring an ugly defeat in the face, Mattocks, a 60th minute substitute, restored some measure of pride when he scored in the 80th minute, for the final 3-1 scoreline.
"I wouldn't say I am disappointed not to get the start, when you know what you can do, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth (not to get the start). I definitely respect the coach's decision not to put me into the starting line-up, at the same time I know what I am capable of doing.
"I scored against America and beating them and going on to the final, I was really expecting the start and I was hoping to do the same and score early and get a second one like we did against the USA, but obviously I didn't get the start," said Mattocks, who ended his campaign with two goals.
The former Waterhouse player said his confidence is often mistaken to mean something else, and he wants to clear that up.
"My personality is all about being a very confident player, and sometimes people may interpret that to me being arrogant, which is not so. Once you believe in your talent, you can show what you can do with every chance, as I have said it's a team game and I definitely respect the coach's decision (not to start me)," Mattocks told the Jamaica Observer. more

No comments:

Post a Comment